So, today’s blogpost is brought to you by music: it’s in my head. I have a wide variety of taste in music. As you’ll see from this list, I’m all over the place.
In no particular order: ten songs that just make my day when I hear them. (Yeah it’s lowercase because it’s an unimpressive title.) Seriously though, these songs can play and I can handle listening to them. FYI: Singer-who-must-not-be-named and teenager-who-no-one-thinks-can-grow-up are not on here. As if that’s a shocker.
10. “Bad Romance” by Lady Gaga: Honestly, this song is awesome. People mocking it is just as awesome. Not that I have a bad romance with my wife (we have an awesome relationship and ya’ll should be jealous. That’s right, I said ya’ll!) This song is one of those few that actually has a good beat, tone, and decent words (unlike My Hate Will Go On by Celine Dion….that’s NOT what it’s called? No way!)
9. “Soul Sister” by Train: I really don’t know why. It just has this positive feeling about it, like Bad Day and I’m Yours. And for some reason, the title of the song makes me think of a nun. I don’t know why. Very odd and random. But, then again, I’m odd and random. Regardless, this song has that fun beat that everyone should enjoy.
8. “I Can Only Imagine” by Mercy Me: You know what, if you really know me, you’ll know my religious choices. I will stand by my religious choices as much as I stand by anything else. I’m not going to give up my beliefs for the sake of convenience nor will I do so because of the criticism that I receive because of it. And this song will always make me think of those in my life who I’ve lost. I will always imagine and I will always believe and no logic that you try to present to me will change that, because you know what, I’m still thinking logically. I just put emotion into it.
7. “Loser” by Beck: I heard that song recently on Pandora. Well, almost a year ago now. It was the first time in years. Wow! It’s an awesome song. It reminds me of me in high school. Yeah, I was a ‘loser’ and yet, somehow, I’m probably one of the biggest winners in my mind. Yep, I’m pretty arrogant and this song just inhibits and affirms that arrogance for whatever reason. It’s like saying “I’m a loser and I don’t give a crap what you think about me so I’m going to be an arrogant loser in your mind.”
6. “1985” by Bowling for Soup: How can an accountant not enjoy a song that mentions CPAs in a negative light? Or one that uses “uncool” in the most appropriate form. It’s funny to look at a song that has to do with “these were my dreams as the hard rockin’ teen” and then say “this is my completely opposite real life.” My favorite line though is “music still on MTV.” I’ve got a good ‘old man’ story for my kids when they start watching that channel. “Did you know that MTV stands for Music Television and not MLame Reality Television?” (The MLame is silent of course.)
5. “Numb” by Linkin Park: Yeah, I don’t think that 18-year old me would’ve given Linkin Park a chance. Some of their songs add that ‘Satan’s coming out of the Pit of Death any second now’ voice, which I really can’t stand. I’m sorry, if you want me to listen, then please speak clearly. (This goes for a lot of music out there.) Someone also recently tried to joke that the unmentionable singers had remixed this song. In those singers dreams (and the rest of normal humanity’s nightmares.)
4. “Before He Cheats” by Carrie Underwood: Yeah, I’ve got a country theme here. Sue me for it. Anyway, how can you not love a song about a hot chick destroying some douche’s car? No seriously, how can you not? If you have not seen the music video for this, you must watch it on YouTube. Yeah, I know, I’m married. But Carrie Underwood is on my 5, so it’s all good. 🙂 (Not that it would ever happen.)
3. “Life is a Highway” by Rascal Flatts: This song is from Disney/Pixar’s Cars, which is an awesome movie. But this is an equally awesome song. It’s imagery and beat are just awesome. I really love this song. If I could sing extremely well (which I can’t) I would probably sing this on American Idol. Of course, there are other songs I’d want to sing, but if I made it to the first time that the audience votes, this would be my song for that week. (Yeah, I know very little about American Idol, but I know you have to choose at somepoint what you sing.)
2. “I’m Yours” by Jason Mraz: This song just makes me feel good about my life. I have a wife and I’m hers. I don’t need anything else in my life besides what I’ve got right now. It’s not even that romantic of a tune. I don’t know, it’s an all-around awesome song.
1. “I Pray For You” by Jaron and the Long Road to Love: (Really? You can’t just be normal and go by ‘Jaron’. Whatever!) This song does for guys what “Before He Cheats” did for girls: sweet revenge. Really? How can you not be a rejected guy who doesn’t like this song? A song that talks about praying for a chick to have her brakes go out while going down hill at 110 or that no one calls on her birthday. Honestly, it’s hilarious. I mean, if I guy wrote “Before She Cheats” with similar destructive lyrics he’d be deemed a creepy stalker and put on a list of horrible people. Carrie Underwood is deemed hotter. So, what can a guy get away with? Wishful thinking. This works quite well to me.
So, there are ten songs that I would ban anyone from changing my radio station. What currently makes your ears perk up in glee when it pops up on the radio? (Do you remember pop-up video? What an awesome show!)
Alien abductions are involuntary, but probings are scheduled.
Filed under: Top 10 Day |